2 weeks from today I will be running my 4th marathon (5th endurance event) so it is safe to say I am in "Taper-Mode".
So- here is a taste of my weekend of tapering...
Saturday- Ran a local 5k in 24:38 and finished 2nd in my division! Hip was a little tight but finished strong and worked hard.
Followed this by 4 hours of creating a beautiful garden, that I am sharing with family. Sore feet and food intake was not stellar for my Sunday workout.
Sunday (today) I had my tri class at 9 am. I got more than halfway out there only to realize I had forgotten my bike helmet (sigh).
Open water swim (hello jello arms!) with two tears in my wetsuits (argh!), followed by 15 on the bike and then a 3 mile run. Felt great!
Marathon schedule called for 10 mile run so I got home then met a friend and ran another 5...this should be okay with the other workouts, right? I mean, 8 miles instead of ten but add in the swim and bike and I feel like this is fine. Thoughts?
So- my bike. Let's chat about my bike...well- let me tell you about my bike and then you offer feedback. :)
My bike- I won it at an 8K about five years ago, Rode it some but it is getting most of its use now. It is a mountain bike (Fugi) so when I went into our local bike shop for advice and tri gear they suggested getting lighter wheels. When I sent it in for its tune-up, I had them switch out my monstrous tires for the lighter ones and I love the difference it makes. So- as I am out training with the group, I notice I don't get the speed I want. I hit a hit (decline) and I have to stop peddling because I cannot push the bike anymore...no more gears to switch to! It frustrates me because I want to be able to go faster but my feet just wildly spin at the last gear.
I also don't feel like I get the aerodynamics that others do since my handlebars are mountain bike bars I crouch down and that helps a little but not like it could if I had the other bike bars.
I rode someones bike today, with clips, and it felt a lot better. My dilemma is that I have not even completed my first tri yet, so I know I should wait to upgrade...to make sure this is something I will like to do more (I am pretty sure I already know I will want to) but I also want a bike that will make me so much better.
I don't have the $ to get a new bike so would like to hear any feedback on upgrades I could have done to my bike to help with these situations. Anyone?
Thanks! I appreciate your time to respond!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Um, I would definitely say that an 8mile run with biking and swimming more than equals 10miles of running! :)
ReplyDeleteAbout the bike: When I fist started doing tris I got a nice, mid level road bike. I used it for my first couple of tris and loved it. The next year I added clip on aero bars (you can see me riding it in the main picture on my blog). I got refit and loved it even more! However, this past fall, after saving up the $$, we waited for an awesome sale, and I got my tri bike! I love my tri bike! But, I loved my road bike with clip on aero bars too!
Mountain bikes are so hard to ride fast because of the gearing. If you think doing tris is something you'll stick with, I would definitely look into getting a nice road bike. Go to your local bike shop and see what they have. Test ride some different ones and see how they feel. Then, you can go from there! :)
Thanks Aimee! That is great advice...I think I will take my bike into the shop and see what they recommend. Thanks!
ReplyDelete