After a full weekend of running and biking and swimming and getting a horrible sunburn (duh on my part) I feel like this attempt at a marathon and triathlon all in the same week is attainable...
Ran my 20 miler yesterday and that is where the dreaded sunburn came to be. I have a routine before my long runs. Wake up, Clif Bar, coffee, bathroom, sunscreen, hydrate, bathroom, hydrate, sunscreen, body glide, gear #2, shoes, run. This was not the way my morning started as I had to teach a class and complete my coaching responsibilities before running which put my long run all outta order. sigh
I felt a little tired the first few miles but luckily I had my beloved crew biking with me so he kept me going. I finally got into my stride and felt good about mile 4-5 and didn't even stop to think that the blaring sun and open road would be an issue later.
Saw a few fellow runners out getting in the mileage. One guy had his parents out crew-ing for him and we got a small chat in (they even offered me water) before parting ways. Runners are such kind people!
By mile six we had made our way to a local Arboretum and hit the trail there for an added mile. Did I mention that on the road to the park we had the pleasure of spotting a couple deer heads in the ditch. Ew.
The park was nice and shaded with a soft trail and by the time we left I had gotten to 8 miles. Dear crew-boy was not impressed. He was convinced we had gotten to at least 10 miles. Sorry! Just seems like it!
Made our way back to the road we had been on earlier and back to the burbs. Harder to have a bike crew in the neighborhoods. We went to another area park and hit the trail there. I ran 3-4 loops while crew-boy napped on a picnic table. Um...I am pretty sure that wasn't in the contract. :)
After hearing Lady Nike+ give me the "6 miles to go" we headed back to the homestead. I was starting to really feel the mileage and crew-boy had some things to finish before we headed out of town (after the run) so I got home with about 4 miles to go and made my way to the gym where I finished up on the mill. I figure that saved me an extra layer of sun damage.
20 miles completed! It feels so good to have that peak finished! I am off plan by a week so next weekend's long run is being determined by the sister. She is coming back from injury and is trying to manage some miles that will enable her to run the mary with me, as we had planned. Then back on track with the final two weeks of tapering!
I cannot believe the marathon is so close!
Today I had my tri clinic so we swam 10 laps, biked 10 miles, and I put a grueling 2 miles as a finale. Something tells me with all this training the marathon will be okay...
By the way- Got my Bondi Bands and LOVE them!!!!
I have a beautiful tan line from the one I wore yesterday- right across the forehead!!
Tomorrow back to kickboxing and the rest of the day I am taking it easy!!
Sunday, May 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Congrats on getting your 20 miler done! That's awesome! I'm just now starting my HIM training, but I'll be adding marathon training to it in a couple of months! It's good to hear that it is doable! :)
ReplyDeleteYes--doable and thank you for following! I look forward to reading about your training too!
ReplyDelete